Prayer during different seasons of our lives
Summer is a time of many different kinds of events
- What events are you attending/participating in this summer?
- How do you mark them?
o What kinds of things might we pray about for these events?
For everything there is a season
Read Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
- Other kinds of milestones in people’s lives (good or bad)
§ Losing job/getting new job
§ Teen getting license
§ Empty Nest or new family
§ Specific holidays
* What kinds of prayers might be lifted up for these kinds of milestones in your life or the lives of others?
- Tangible ways to mark these seasons
o Laying on of hands with prayer
o Prayer shawls to surround and uphold them(not just when people sick)
o Lighting a candle
o Make a collage of pictures (not just for funerals)
For Everything a Season; Blessings for Daily life by the Nilsen Family
All Through the Day, All Through the Night: Family Prayers & Celebrations by David Batchelder
Praying with Color
One of the newest trends is coloring books for adults. You can find them just about anywhere. Pictures and images can even be downloaded online.
In this session, we used coloring pages that had Psalms connected to them.
They became a kind of meditation as we focused on the verse as we colored in the picture.
Another way is to do your own drawing, using this framework from a book called Praying In Color by Sybil Macbeth (the following is from her website: http://prayingincolor.com/ )
Reasons to pray with color:
1) You want to pray but words escape you.